Friday, March 1, 2013

City Slicker / Country Boy / City Slicker


 Post from Les
          
   Jeannette has already mentioned that we now are the owners of an acre of land – right in the middle of the city.  It’s like living out in the country, but just a few blocks away from the town square.  We’ve never owned more land than a standard residential lot, and there have been times when keeping those lots maintained seemed more than I could handle.  You know the story . . . fast growing weeds; the need to apply pre-emergent to stave off the stickers that will appear in summer; pruning the trees and shrubs; spraying for bag worms; treating for fire ants; baiting for moles, and watering.  And that’s just a typical residential lot!
            I don’t know if we live in the city, or the country, or in the city-country.  We now have a lot as big as a football field with what appears to be knee-high coastal grass.  In addition, there are 20+ fruit trees; dozens of dead trees that need removal before they fall and cause damage; 3 foot tall ornamental cactus plants coming out the wazoo (ouch); several long rows of planted veggies that appear to be garlic; rows and patches of unidentified soon-to-bloom flowers all about; and who knows what else!?!
            I’ve been telling people you can almost hear the property making yawning sounds like a big monster awakening from its hibernation, ready to get with it, and hungry.  I’m just a little bit scared.  No, I’m a lot scared!
 
Living in the Country = Varmints
 
            Speaking of sounds, we’ve been lying in bed at night listening to an owl (or owls), hooting away just like in the cartoons, which happens to be as close as I’ve ever been to an owl.  There have been other strange animal sounds too.  The neighbor says we have raccoons.  Armadillos have been plowing up the ground around the house in search of whatever they like to eat??  At least I think it Armadillo divots – if not . . . we have hogs.  Neighborhood cats seem to like hanging out around here so that means you know what. (I’m not allowed to say it because Melody and Katy will get the creeps).  And of course, there are the usual skunks, buzzards, etc.
            Oh my gosh, I can’t imagine what’s going to show up here when warm weather gets in full gear.  The city park and Bosque “so-called” River are just a couple of hundred yards away behind us.  For my sake I’m not going to say the “S” word, because I’m scared to death of them.
Aspen will certainly love the invasion of bugs that go along with this environment.  I’m fully aware that it’s their turf, so I plan to look for some 1” thick rugged boots that will come up to my waist.  Then I’ll feel safe walking about on my propertyJ     

No comments:

Post a Comment