Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Extreme Home Makeover = Running a Marathon (kind of)

Post from Les


   I’ve been reading the latest blogs posted by two of our daughters who are into the “running thing,” and though they compete in different challenge levels, I found it interesting that they both happened to mention something that apparently is common among runners.  Curb jumping and weaving.  It seems that when the pace of the larger group is too slow for certain runners who are a bit more . . . let’s say, enthusiastic, they often resort to this exercise to maintain the interest.  One daughter referred to this as “pinball running,” bouncing from side to side on the curbs and weaving through the crowd.
            Some would say “Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.”  Ron Washington would say “He do what he do.”  Nevertheless, I understand completely.  This house project is my marathon challenge and sometimes the daily progress isn’t very impressive, especially when you consider how much lies ahead before I reach the finish line.  So, for the past few days I’ve had the itch to do a little curb jumping and weaving of my own.
            The weatherman promises a very pleasant day, so I think it would be a good diversion to do some test painting on the outside of the house.  I’ve been anxious to do this from the get go but the inside things have taken higher priority.   Anyway, we need to see if the color trio we’ve chosen will look as great in real life as it does on paper.  Beside, it will send a message to our neighbors that good things are ahead.  They’ve already commented on the welcome sight of our recent removal of the overgrown trees and bushes that were shrouding the house.  
 
Legs + Mind = Finish
 
            From what I’ve heard people say and what I observe sitting in the bleachers, distance running is a simple mathematical equation of two components:  LEGS and MIND.  You not only need the stamina of the legs to deliver the body to the finish line, but you need the will power of the mind to decide that making the distance is worth the effort.  The mind decides that merely showing up for the race and getting the T-Shirt is not enough, but the medals, trophies and bragging rights are supreme and worth pulverizing your feet.
            I suppose lots of people’s legs have played out at this juncture in the house refurbishing marathon.  This is when it’s so important to keep the mind in the game because this kind of work is fun for me - but it’s also hard and tiresome . . . like pounding the pavement mile after mile.  But I can see the prize ahead of me . . . a beautifully painted house, cleaned up and well maintained lawn, flowering plants and nicely groomed shrubs accenting the landscape.  Oh . . . and don’t forget the mezmerizing sounds of Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban being piped in all around like a shopping mall.
            Dang . . . I’m ready to get back to work!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment