Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fire in the Laundry Room

Well, now that I have your attention, it wasn't really a fire, but it there was a lot of smoke.
About 8 this morning, I started a load of clothes in the laundry room, which is in the far back, right side of the house. I then went to work on the computer in the office, which is in the far front, left side of the house.
After a few minutes, I smelled something, like something burning, like maybe an electrical fire. I thought, "Um, I wonder what that is," and continued to work at  the computer. (I know, pretty careless, but exactly like me.)
In a few minutes, Les appeared and said, "The house almost burned down." (A little extreme, but exactly like him. I'm so glad we balance each other.)
The washing machine filled with water, and something, something, something...smoke, almost fire, smoke in the laundry room...It really could have been bad. If we had both left the house, it COULD have burned the house down. AND our beautiful ceiling! Horrible thought.
We discussed how sad it is that our long time appliance repairman either left the country or changed his number so that we can't get in touch with him. His name is Mario, and I always called him Super Mario because he could fix anything. Once, years ago, I called him to repair a dryer. He did repair it, but then said, "Jeannette, when it breaks next time, don't call me, just get a new one. It's time." Don't you love that kind of honesty? Another time, when a washing machine broke, and it was full of water, Les hauled it to the driveway and called Mario. When we came home from work, there was  note saying that he had come by and fixed the washer. He was amazing. But we lost track of him.
So, Les loaded the washing machine in his truck and took it to Giffords Appliances. A few minutes later he called and said, "Guess who I found?" YES, Mario now works for Giffords. Mario took one look at the washer and said it would cost $400 just for the parts. YIKES. Not worth it at all.
We calculated that we had had the machine 8 or 9 years. I realize that is pretty old for an appliance, but ours usually last 20 years or more!
But, if Mario says it's time to buy a new one, then it is time to buy a new one.
So, we bought a new washing machine today. Not exactly in the budget, but clearly necessary. It is an energy efficient one that will use less water, electricity, and detergent, so there is a bright side.
AND, we found Super Mario, definitely an UP factor in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment