Sunday, February 3, 2013

This is Harder than it Looks

 We made some good progress this week. We DID get the washer and dryer in to the house. Our friend Chance Yankie came over and helped Les with that chore. I wasn't home to record it, but here is the finished product.
After they finished setting these up, they decided to move the refrigerator into the house.I was home to photo this. 
 

 

 

It will sit in the living room until the kitchen walls and floor is finished. It is so wonderful to have appliances in the house. I quickly asked Les if the washing machine was connected so that I could wash some clothes. He said it was, but, when I turned it on, no water came in. He realized that he had not turned the water on, so he remedied that. 

He got the water on, but only cold. No hot water for the washing machine. We will have to call the plumber back to connect the hot water. For now, I can wash everything in cold. 

On Friday, he began to install the new counter, sink, and faucet in the master bathroom. 
 

 

So far so good, right. NO. We had bought a beautiful vessel sink a while back (remember the bargain at builders surplus?) . It did not come with instructions. Les has installed a lot of sinks, so he figured this would not be that hard. He was wrong. He went to Smith's plumbing and electrical supply for supplies, and some advice, came home and worked on it a while, then looked at it a while, looked on the internet a while, worked some more. He turned off the water, got the pipes ready under the sink, turned the water on, and water sprayed the bathroom. Turned the water off, worked some more, turned the water on and the pipe leaked. Turned water off, worked some more. Finally got the pipes fixed. Still could not install the sink. 
We also had a beautiful faucet I ordered online, which came with NO instructions. He worked a long tine trying to connect the faucet. Les is extremely good at figuring things out, and can usually look at anything for a time and understand how to work it.  He studied these fixtures a long time, but could not get them in. 
We brushed our teeth in the shower and went to bed. 
Something weird was going on with the heater. The new furnace was running for 20-30 minutes, then cut off for 4 seconds, then start again, run 15 minutes, cut off for 3 seconds. It did that constantly. Les finally turned the thermastat down very low so it would not come on at all. He brought in our fake fireplace, which kept the bedroom warm all night. Turns out, there is a setting on the furnace that needs to be changed. The thermostat was set on 70, and the furnace was working hard to keep it at exactly 70 degrees. We will have it adjusted to let it drop down more before the furnace kicks in, then warm it up more before it stops. Not a big deal, but topped off a rather frustrating day.   
Saturday, while Les was working, I made lettuce wraps for lunch, with supplies that were in the fridge. The electric skillet on the dryer worked well, but I don't have any spatulas or big spoons. All those type things are somwhere in a storage building. So, I used scissors to stir the ground chicken.
When I had the sauce ready, I used a plastic spoon and stirred really fast so that it would not melt. The wraps were delicious and it was good to have some home cooking. 

After FIVE trips to the supply store, and spending $150, he got the new sink and faucet installed. And, here they are. I really didn't want to show you. I wanted to wait until the bathroom is finished and have a big reveal, but I'm too anxious for you to see this. 

 Isn't it beautiful? We added some open shelves at the end for those things that we like to keep handy like toothbrushes, so they won't have to sit out on the counter. Did you notice the mirror is gone? Of course, he had to take it off to put in the new counter and back splash. I got ready for a church dinner last night, and church this morning with a six inch mirror. Last night was OK, but today, when I went into the rest room at church, I was "surprised" by my new hair style. Well, I need to not be so vain, anyway.
We moved the RV out today. Well, actually, I wasn't home. I've been in Fort Worth today and I'm spending the night with Melody, Brad, and Aspen, but, the plan was to move it out. We are so grateful to the Rutledges for letting us use the RV, and we really enjoyed staying in it for those weeks. 
 I won't be doing any more real cooking, though, because I was washing the pans in the RV. 
You don't think I would put a pan in THAT sink, do you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment