Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Backsplash “gift”


Right after we committed to buying the new old house, we happened upon tile that was PERFECT for the backsplash, beautiful mosaic 12 in square tiles on clearance at a great price. We bought what the store had, which was the right amount for the backsplash area.  Something like this.

When we decided to redesign the kitchen, we added a wall that would need a tile or something similar behind the range. I looked online for tile that would match what we had, but it was not available anywhere, not even from the manufacturer. So sad.
So, we returned the tile and I began a search for something new. Lowes.com had a lot to choose from, all kinds of mosaics, mostly for at least $10 per square. BUT, one design was listed for $.87 per square. It came in a variety of colors, and each color was $.87 per square, or $7.92 per box of 10, for glass tiles.

I checked the price about 500 times, because it was really just too good to be true.  Assured that the price was right, we decided to order 12 boxes, or 144 squares. We liked the look of assorted colors together.
 

 
 I ordered, and the price at the end, with a 5% discount, was $96, which I put on my Lowe’s card. Still, probably too good to be true.
About 10 days later, the tile was in and I went to pick it up…12 tiles not boxes. I explained that I had ordered boxes, and everyone was really confused.  A very nice young man named Paul checked on Lowes.com, and found that the price was indeed $.87 per square. They called a manager who quickly said, “That price is not right.” I explained that it was the price listed when I ordered, and Paul confirmed that the price was still .87 online. The manager said that I could get a refund and later reorder, which I declined to do, and said that I wanted to order the tiles from the store. The manager sat down to order, and they were unavailable. Every color was unavailable. Paul said that he could get them for me through “genesis”. The manager agreed, and asked Paul to do that for me.

Paul sat down and ordered the tile directly from the vendor. When he punched in the tile number, the price came up as $7.92. Paul changed to price to .87. He then ordered everything that I had on my original order, and changed the price on every single tile. Since I did not have a Lowe’s card with me, I did not get the extra discount. Paul completed the order, added the tax, and turned to me and said, “That will be $113, is that OK?” I agreed to that price gladly, and he processed the order.

In a couple of weeks, after getting the call that the tiles were in, I held my breath when I went to pick then up, and, YES, 12 boxes of tiles! For $113. I had them loaded and took off. 
I almost felt guilty, but a friend said it was a kiss from God, to just enjoy them. 
So, the back splash tiles were a gift from Lowe’s…ordered by God.

And, here is a preview of the back splash, just a little preview...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment