Sunday, December 2, 2012

Wasted Spaces, Barren Landscapes and Tin Cans


Post from Les. 

Some Thoughts on Redeeming, Reclaiming, and Repurposing
Part 1
    
     I still feel I need to convince some of you out there as to why in the world we're shaking things up so radically at our age.  If you know me very well, you know how it takes me a while to formulate a reply to a question because I always want to be understood.  So, this will take a couple of installments to get it all out.  I'll thank you in advance for sticking with this.  :)

     In the movie Amadeus, King Louis of France often concluded a session of inquiry and discourse with the words There you have it,” as if to say there you have it in a nutshell. Enough said. The title above in like manner just about wraps the discussion to follow before I even get started. So there you have it . . . the proverbial bottom line . . . this is what makes me tick . . . floats my boat, etc.

     God wired me to have a spatial orientation and awareness. I don’t mean that I have an interest in astronomy, but I relate spaces like an office, a room, a closet, a box, or a shelf. Along with that add a propensity to think in linear or parallel terms that result in a compartmentalized world view. My parents wired me to be thrifty and to appreciate leftovers . . . be it food, wood scraps, hardware, paper sacks, etc. With these two genetic codes colliding in my makeup, I’ve turned out to be the kind who scrimps and saves boxes and bubble wrap; a variety of jars and containers; and all kinds of broken gadgets.

     When I was a kid, some of my favorite things to collect were the empty tin boxes that Band-Aids came in. They were just the right size to store playing cards, Monopoly money and game pieces. I don’t believe that I fall into the category of people who obsessively hoard things because I’m not into stashing away large quantities of any particular thing. It’s just really hard for me to throw away cool stuff like a nifty container with a lid that once held other things like film, coffee, Christmas cookies or baby food. The way I figure, these things could be given a new lease on life by using them to rightly divide my random collection of nails, screws and thumbtacks.

Pool Cues and Pot Passers

     I prefer to think of myself as a kind of Re-Purposer. But before I can do that, I have to redeem a spent or wasted item from the trash bin and reclaim it for myself with the idea that one day this item will come in handy and have a whole new usefulness. As I see it, just about everything has multiple applications and possible uses. The Beverly Hillbillies didn’t know what those sticks on the parlor wall were supposed to do and the reason that strange looking green felt dining table had holes in it, but they were really proud to show off their fancy “pot passers” to their guests. Shoot, a little imagination and ingenuity is all it takes to make the world go around.

     The same rule applies when I see a rusty old wheelbarrow in a junk pile; an old gas station boarded up and forgotten for years; or those abandoned factories with broken windows and KEEP OUT signs posted on the chain link fences. I just have to level with you - this is the kind of stuff that rubs me the wrong way. There’s a policy I’ve carried around in my head for decades that calls me to action, and that is that “you’ve paid for this once . . . no need to buy it again.” Why buy a product that comes in a nice box, bottle or protective case, and when the product is finished, toss the container in the dumpster? Then, later on you go out and spend money on some kind of fancy gadget to store your cherished marble collection?

     One of the coolest ideas I’ve have heard of in years was from the person who saw the secondary benefit of those unwanted eyeglass cases that hang out in our dresser drawers. A group of mission minded people gather these up in large quantities from the community and stuff them with combs, toothpaste and toothbrushes, moistened wipes, and bandages. Then they are donated in bulk to the disaster relief agencies that dispatch teams to assist flood and storm victims. This kind of innovation gets me so pumped because we’ve all got those cases lying around somewhere. They’re cost free, readily available and waiting to be redeemed, reclaimed and repurposed. Its pure genius . . .yet simple, thrifty, practical, and needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment