Thursday, April 25, 2013

Walls Are Coming Down

"Walls are coming down, Walls are coming down, oh oh oh, oh oh oh..."
If you haven't heard that song by Cody Carnes, go to youtube right NOW and check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-FFam0cDI

There is a reason that that song is in my head...we have been tearing down walls in the yard. Our yard at one time was a beautiful garden. Really. I'm not just saying that, people have told us that long long ago, our acre was a delightful place of lovely flowers and lush greenery.

There remains traces of that distant place...


 

 

We can tell that there was at one time a number of raised flower beds, outlined with rock walls. What we have now are a bunch of rock walls surrounding beds of weeds. 

We were not sure what to do with these; dig out the weeds and plant flowers in them to restore them to their former glory... or not. After giving much thought to this dilemma, I decided that our best bet was to tear the rock walls down and smooth out the dirt so that we can mow over the whole area. Monday afternoon, I had   a couple of free hours, so I went to work tearing the walls down. Those walls were well built, like the walls of Jericho. I considered calling my friends over to march around them. What you see is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. There are layers of rocks under the layers of rock that you can see.
 Can you see the rocks barely sticking out? That is the hidden layer.
 Les went out with me this afternoon and dug out the really big ones that I could not lift. These pictures show our progress.







And here is the pile of rocks that we have removed so far. 
We are considering building a rock cabin on the back of the lot. 
The object lessons that formed in my mind while I was working on those walls are swirling in my mind like little tornadoes. First chance I get, I am going to post one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment