Sunday, April 7, 2013

Big Work Day

Last week, Melody said that she and Brad and Aspen were coming down this weekend to work with us on the house. YIPPEE. The help would be great, and spending time with kids is always fun.
Saturday morning, Les had to break up a concrete fence curb in the yard so that I could get the new mower to the lower part of the yard. It was really hard work. 
 
Since I now have a sweet kitchen, and Facebook has been loaded with tasty looking recipes, I decided to do some cooking...desserts, lunch, dinner, all going on at the same time.
Brad, Mel, and Aspen got here around 1. We immediately ate a turkey burger lunch, and got to work. 
Brad helped Les take out the old windows and put new ones in. That was a big job, and we were thrilled to have the help. They started with the side window in the living room. 

 
Melody painted the bathroom cabinets, drawers, and doors.
 
And Aspen and I mowed!

The guys then moved to the master bedroom, with the wall or windows.
 

 

And, here is the finished product...oh, I wish the bedroom was clean for the picture :( 
It is worse than usual, because our toiletries from the bathroom drawers are on the little table. 
We are committed to using the original products from the house as much as possible. As they took out the old windows (which were in too bad shape to restore and reuse) they carefully removed all the wood, scraped it, and put it back on.
 

We can't use the old windows as windows, but, we are going to use them for something.
After we mowed for a while, I took Aspen, Lexi, and Kylie to the park, then they all took turns helping me mow. When I took the other girls home, Aspen lounged while her mom cracked pecans for her.  

Our new friend Apsara, who is from Nepal, and her 2 year old daughter stopped by for a visit. She said the her daughter calls me Ama, the Nepalese word from grandmother! Apsara asked if she can bring her husband to meet us on Monday, when he is off work. He was happy when she told him about meeting us. She told me that they have no friends or family here. I said, "Now you do. We are friends. She said, "We are family." I am honored and humbled.  

Today, the guys got right back to work. We had decided to put a larger window in the front of the house, which meant extra work cutting the hole the right size. 

 

 Then they moved to the west side of the house. They almost got it finished. Only the four windows in the back bedroom are left.
 While they worked, Aspen and I "mowed" again. Somehow, she learned to drive the mower. With the blades up, I let her stir, and was amazed at how well she did. This pictures is not staged. It is an action shot. She's driving the mower while Les relaxes.
The Warmerdams left about 6:00. Melody sent me this picture at 6:08. 

No comments:

Post a Comment