Thursday, April 11, 2013

Did I Do THAT?

This week, Les has worked on the windows. He put the wood frames back up and caulked around them...caulked, and caulked, and caulked...like 2 cases of caulk to do the job.
We still have 4 windows in the back bedroom to replace, and the small windows in the master bath and the laundry room, in the "new" part of the house built in 1962.
So, I came in Monday afternoon with a little free time. Les suggested that I go and buy new hardware for the bathroom. Although we are committed to reusing old things in the house, the french provencial hardware with layers of paint and gunk were just not what we wanted. I bought hardware like we have in the kitchen, and I came home and began to install it. The drawer and door pulls were not hard to put in at all, with the help of an electric screwdriver.
 
 Hanging the doors with the new hinges required skills that I have not used before. I got out the hinges, looked at them, looked at the doors, looked at the cabinets and decided that the best thing to do was put the hinges on the cabinets, then hold the doors up to attach the other side of the hinges. Turns out that was NOT the best thing to do. I couldn't get cabinet up, line it up with the hinge, and hold it steady while I tightened the screws with one hand. I tried several times. Then, I picked up another door, attached the hinges, then held it in place, resting on the cabinet opening, while screwing the hinge onto the wall. That worked.
 
Too bad I didn't have another hand to take the picture while I was actually doing the work. Anyway, I was able to do all the doors in that space.
Here are the completed cabinets.

 
These laundry room cabinet doors are 4 feet tall, and let me tell you, it was not easy to hold a door up with one hand, also holding the hinge in place, while operating the screwdriver with the other hand. The fact that I did it all by myself was pretty exciting.
Pat on the back, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment