Sunday, April 13, 2014

Tearing out

Friday was a big day. Les started working on the kitchen. He pulled out the dishwasher, the oven and range. It was hard work. It was also hard because the appliances are in working order. The dishwasher is fairly new and in really good shape. It is NOT like us to take out perfectly good appliances just because. But, it doesn't make sense to put in pretty, new cabinets, and put the old appliances back in.  Our first plan was to keep the dishwasher, and to just replace the small oven and electric range. After we ordered the new refrigerator and stove, Les went back and ordered the dishwasher to match, so that for the first time, we will have all new, matching appliances. Never had that before! So, here he is taking out the old...
 

Poor thing, you know it never fails, when he started to disconnect the dishwasher, the plumbing and electrical wiring was a home done, rigged up mess. But, he finally got them out. 



 While Les did that, I painted the inside of the drawers and the shelves in the linen closet and the master closet, then put nice bright shelf paper in.




If your wondering why I just painted the shelves...
1. I don't like to paint.
2. I make a mess when I paint.
3. With as much work as we have to do, it seemed silly to spend a whole day paining the inside of a closet.
4. Les can paint the whole thing at a later, more convenient time.

While we were working in the house, a friend we had hired was trimming trees on the outside. He got on the roof over the sun room to cut branches, and stepped through the roof. Wasn't hurt, but, wooooo.
The roof is only 2 years old, but it seems that maybe the roofers put shingles over bad spots in the roof without repairing the wood deck, leaving soft spots that break through easily. Before we left, Les had to put a piece of plywood over the hole to hold until the next day, when he went back and repaired the decking and replaced the shingle. There was a place in the garage roof he found that had the same problem.
Makes us wonder how many other soft spots there are.




 
Temporary fix.
Les made me get up on the roof. I don't do ladders. I can climb up the ladder ok, but, I have hard time backing up and stepping off the roof or other high place onto a ladder, then climbing down backwards. Les insisted that I get up and look at the hole. I did climb up, and enjoyed the view from the roof.
Here I am looking down at the ladder. Then, I backed up and climbed right down! How bout that?


No comments:

Post a Comment