Monday, February 22, 2016

Still got IT

Les wrote the post, Jeannette added the title...

The beginning of my career in the sign business was firmly rooted during the summer of 1969. I was struggling in my college pursuits and really needed some direction and inspiration. I thank God for the opportunity I had to apprentice under my beloved uncle Virgil who was an accomplished sign artist in San Jose. I learned basic hand-lettering skills while there, but I was smitten with the hand-carved rustic signwork that was popular in California. When I came back home to continue college, I immediately began making rustic signs along with the usual hand-lettered type signs. 

Throughout the years I've made hundreds of rustic signs. In recent years since retiring, I've had several opportunities to work on novel signs for faux western town scenes in our area. I'd like to share a few photos of what I've been working on this past week.







These pictures are of an event center in our area, set up like an old western town. Each of these buildings have a rustic sign on the facade. 



And these are two examples of small novelty signs I have made recently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment